A solar controller or solar regulator is similar to the voltage regulator in your car. It regulates the voltage and current coming from the solar panels going to the battery. Most “12 volts” panels put out about 16 to 20 volts, so if there is no regulation the batteries will be damaged from overcharging. Most batteries need around 14 to 14.5 volts to get fully charged.
Generally, there is no need for a Solar Controller with the small maintenance, or trickle charge panels, such as the 1 to 5-watt solar panels. A rough rule is that if the panel puts out about 2 watts or less for each 50 battery amp-hours, then you don’t need one.
For example, a standard flooded golf car battery is around 210 amp-hours. So to keep up a series pair of them (12 volts) just for maintenance or storage, you would want a panel that is around 4.2 watts. The popular 5-watt panels are close enough, and will not need a controller. If you are maintaining AGM deep cycle batteries, such as the Concorde Sun Xtender then you can use a smaller 2 to 2-watt panel.
This Solar Panel Charger Controller Regulator is specially designed to protect the battery, which is able to keep the battery on full voltage condition and prevent the battery from overcharging, over-discharging and supplying power to solar panels during nights.
- Microcontroller digital accuracy
- Pulse Width Modulation charge mode(PWM) & State of Charge(SOC)
- Fully automatic operation & Electronic protections
- Detects day and night using the PV array, timer setting
- Double digital LED display, numbers equal to timer setting
- Temperature compensation, with inside temperature sensor
- Big terminals, big distance between terminals
- Light & Timer Control
- 12V / 24V Auto Intelligence
- Overcharging protection
- Can be used for all panels
- Over-discharging protection
- Short and Open Circuit protection
- Full specification available if required
- Fail Safe and cannot be damaged by accidental wiring mistakes
- Advanced design with simple plug and play technology. No need for complicated adjustments
- Rated charge current: 10A
- Rated load current: 10A
- Work voltage: 12/24V Auto Switch
- Over load, short circuit protection: 1.25 rated load current 60sec, 1.5 rated loads current 5sec
- Over load protection action: ≥3 Rated load current short circuit protection action.
- No load current: ≤10mA
- Work temperature: -35°C to +55°C
- Boost charge voltage: 14.6V (keep 10min)
- Direct charge voltage: 14.4V (keep 10min)
- Float charge voltage: 13.6V
- Charge return voltage: 13.2v
- Temperature compensation: -5mv/°C/cell (Boost charge, Direct charge, Float charge, charge return voltage)
- Lower voltage indicate: 12.0V
- Over discharge voltage: 11.1V(no load)- real-time modified voltage by the discharge rate
- Over discharge return voltage: 12.6V
- USB Output: 5V @ 2A Max
- 1 Solar charge controller
- 1 User's manual