This is a basic breakout board for the FTDI FT232RL USB to serial IC. The pinout of this board matches the FTDI cable to work with official Arduino and cloned 3.3V Arduino boards. It can also be used for general serial applications. The major difference with this board is that it brings out the DTR pin as opposed to the RTS pin of the FTDI cable. The DTR pin allows an Arduino target to auto-reset when a new Sketch is downloaded. This is a really nice feature to have and allows a sketch to be downloaded without having to hit the reset button. This board will auto reset any Arduino board that has the reset pin brought out to a 6-pin connector.
The pins labeled BLK and GRN correspond to the colored wires on the FTDI cable. The black wire on the FTDI cable is GND, green is CTS. Use these BLK and GRN pins to align the FTDI basic board with your Arduino target.
This board has TX and RX LEDs that make it a bit better to use over the FTDI cable. You can actually see serial traffic on the LEDs to verify if the board is working.
Require FTDI USB-to-TTL Drivers for Mac, Windows, Linux
- FTDI USB-to-TTL: TX -> Arduino Mini Pro RX
- FTDI USB-to-TTL: RX -> Arduino Mini Pro TX
- FTDI USB-to-TTL: GND -> Arduino Mini Pro GND
- FTDI USB-to-TTL: +5Vcc -> Arduino Mini Pro VCC
- FTDI USB-to-TTL: DTR -> Arduino Mini Pro Reset
- FTDI USB-to-TTL: CTS (non connected)
Uploading sketch with Arduino IDE
Used to test on Arduino IDE 1.5.5 :
- Arduino IDE -> Tools -> Board -> Arduino Pro or Pro Mini
- Arduino IDE -> Tools -> Processor -> ATmega328 (5V, 16 MHz)
- Arduino IDE -> Tools -> Port -> in Windows you should see comX (X is a number)
- Arduino IDE -> Tools -> Programmer -> AVRISP mkII
To find serial port name list, write on terminal;
username$ ls -l /dev/tty.*
The FTDI USB-to-TTL have 6 pin with auto reset functionality. So everything function as normal Arduino Uno board. (No need to reset after upload)
- Click on upload sketch (green right arrow)
- As soon as you see “Compiling sketch…” on status bar, click on reset button.
- If your timing is good you’ll see “Done uploading.”